Ísafjörður Ski Touring
Ski in the fjords surrounding our picturesque home town
Not all great skiing in the Westfjords requires boat access and sea transfers. Ísafjörður offer many great mountains and the comfort of good food and a nice place to stay in the center of Ísafjörður, all you could possibly want for some great days of skiing is right around the corner.
Enjoy the warm small town's hospitality while being treated with some incredible skiing and a good possibility to do first descents down the mountain of your choice. The Westfjords of Iceland are known for its thick snowpack and from the mountain tops you will be rewarded with panoramic view of the sea and vast mountainous landscape.
While staying in town and driving short distances to our skiing locations, guests will still be able to enjoy the feeling of skiing close to the Arctic Circle with no other skiers around. The best mountains in the area are in very short driving distance and we put the skis on right next to the car and start skinning to the top of the peak of our choice that day.
Backcountry skiing in Westfjords
Ski some of the same runs that the European Marmot Pro Team used for their winter catalog and promotional video in 2014. Watch the movie below!
Availability upon request.
- Same day airport transfers in Ísafjörður
- Accommodation in Ísafjörður in made up beds
- Transport for skiing
- Professional guiding
- Travel to and from Ísafjörður, Iceland unless specifically mentioned in itinerary
- Personal medical insurance
- Personal equipment. All equipment can be rented from us.
We start the day with a short drive, about 20 minutes to the small town of Sudavik. We start skinning up to the bowl under Sauratindar and up to the top, reaching 856 meters. We then make a beautiful ride down to the valley floor between the rock pinnacles. After few high fives and snacks, we get going again up the valley and head for the top of Mt. Rauðkollur. From the top we have a picturesque view over Isafjordur and a few glacier-carved bowls to choose from to ski down. Very beautiful run to the valley of Engidalur where our transport is waiting.
On our final day we plan to make a ski tour across the mountains between the town of Bolungarvík and Ísafjörður. We start with a 15 minute drive over to Hanholl Farm in Bolungarvik. We will follow the snow covered river up to Heidarskard Pass and climb the beautiful ridge of Mt. Heidnafjall. After taking in the beautiful panoramic view we will carve some nice turns down to Hnífsdalur Valley. After lunch we maintain our altitude and head up to Mt. Eyrarfjall. From there we ski passed the remains of what was once the best ski lift in Iceland, before being destroyed by an avalanche in April 1994. The run ends with us passing through some of the best... make that the only tree run in Iceland, before reaching the valley floor in Tungudalur, just minutes away from the center of town. Guests will be back in time to catch the evening flight to Reykjavik but we always recommend staying an extra night and/or day to enjoy our lovely town of Isafjordur.
- Skis, boots, poles and skins. Make sure the glue on the skins is good. If wearing new boots, make sure you have tried them out few times to see if the fit properly. Blisters are never fun.
- Avalanche gear (beacon, shovel and probe) for the backcountry trips. It´s a must to carry all three items. We have few beacons and shovels that you can rent for small fee. Just ask us before leaving home.
- Thermal underwear, at least two sets of shirts. Wool or synthetic. No cotton!
- Wool or fleece thermal mid layer, take two thin layers instead of one thick one.
- Waterproof and breathable pants and jacket.
- Thermal jacket (down or fiber) optional.
- Wool / fleece hat.
- Two pairs of gloves and one pair of mittens.
- 3 to 4 pairs thick wool / synthetic skiing socks (not too thick).
- Casual clothes to wear in the evenings.
- Slippers or crocks to wear inside.
- Soft hiking boots.
- Soft travel bag (no hard suitcases).
- Dark sun glasses.
- Sunscreen / after sun cream.
- Swim suit and towel.
- Backpack. 30-40L is the right size. Make sure it has ski straps.
- Personal medical kit to include personal medication and i.e. band aids, throat lozenges, lip salves, sea-sickness tablets etc. Don't forget regular medication you may need (e.g. Asthma, bring your inhaler, even if you do not always need it).
- 1 litre water bottle.
- Small thermos.
- Don't forget your camera!
Sleeping bag is not needed.